[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: "Tom White" <twhite@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:10:31 -0700

> look, the limitations *AND* strengths of MIDI are well known
> throughout the industry.

Maybe, but many of the complaints about MIDI I hear tend to be
stated in black and white when instead they are gray.

For example, we have all heard about MIDI being "too slow" since
the very first day, yet commercial success seems to say otherwise.
Anyway, there is a distinction between "MIDI the cable" and "MIDI
the protocol" which we all know, yet I've rarely heard anyone say
"MIDI is too slow but of course I only mean MIDI over a 5-Pin
DIN cable, because I recognize that USB-MIDI, Firewire-MIDI and
the other transports for MIDI are just fine". Instead they just
say "MIDI is too slow" and for people who don't know the difference
this is very damaging.

It is also not uncommon for people to blame MIDI for things that
are implementation issue inherent in MIDI devices.

My point is simply to make sure that when this group talks about
the need to use something other than MIDI because MIDI can't do
something, that everyone has an equal understanding.

> nobody here is proposing to do away with MIDI.

That's nice <g>.

> further, i doubt that the MMA would have anything to say about an
> announcement from TC or UAD or SHARC or Kurzweil or Motorola that
> henceforth, their hardware designs would use an internal control
> protocol...

As I said before, my comments were intended to correct what might
be misimpressions about what can be done with MIDI, not to voice
any opinion on whether MIDI should be an internal protocol in GMPI.

- Tom White