[gmpi] Re: 3.11 topic: Dynamic plugin structure

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:02:09 +0200

On Wednesday 28 April 2004 21.24, Tim Hockin wrote:
[...]
> > >Yes... But hey! Then the whole idea of channels is basically a
> > > legacy hack. I think that's another argument for using
> > > "channel[N]/...", since it allows both hosts and plugins to
> > > completely ignore the thing at will, and still have them work
> > > together.
> >
> > You can still ignore the index if it's a separate int in a
> > struct, nothing about doing it in the string makes this any
> > easier -- in fact, it makes it a lot harder because you have to
> > parse the string and convert, yuk.
>
> Come on, now.  String parsing is trivial.  I can write you a parser
> to build a tree of these / delimited nodes in about 1 hour.  This
> parser gets written once in the host SDK and never again.

Yeah, I was just thinking about this stuff today. I think I'm back on
the "pure OSC style" side. That said, if the channel based system
allows channels with different layout, it's really just an
implementation detail.

Either way, like Tim says, parsers and stuff can be in the SDK. That
is, "1D indexing" or "pure strings" doesn't really matter as far as
the requirements are concerned. (We've already pretty much agreed
that channels shouldn't have to be identical, right?)

For the implementation, I think we should focus on making life easy
for plugins; in particular the 80% or so that just have a fixed list
of parameters they want to tell the host about.