[duxuser] Re: duxuser opens file but, not being displayed rite

  • From: Dave Durber <dadurber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 08:30:50 -0500

If you have already tried the suggestions that have been made by other
listers, then in my opinion, I have 1 more idea to throw into the pot
as to why your screen reader is not reading the file correctly.

When files are created in word processors such as Word, WordPerfect
and DBT, they are created in 2 different ways.

One way is to type headings, paragraphs, outlines and lists etc., and
pressing <ENTER> twice to separate one block of text from another.

The other way is to type headings, paragraphs, outlines and lists
etc., with the use of styles.

When using a style, such as a paragraph style, in Word or WordPerfect,
you can have it insert a blank space between each paragraph measuring
the distance equal to that of a blank line.  Because styles can be
programmed to do this, you only need to press the <ENTER> key once to
separate each paragraph and not twice.

The problem arises when the file is save to a .TXT file format.  When
styles are used, only 1 hard return is placed at the point where the
<ENTER> key is pressed and not 2.  The programmers of these word
processors have not been intelligent enough to work out that, if a
style has been set to force such a space between units of text, then
that feature of the style should be replaced with a second hard
return.

Now the problem is compounded when the saved .TXT file is imported
into another word processor, such as DBT.  In many cases, most, if not
all of the hard returns are stripped away and they are replaced with
the space character.

Like me, if you have come across this situation and you have imported
a file into a word processor and it appears as if it is one huge block
of text, there is no fast fix solution to solve this problem.  Like a
bad storm, you have to grit your teeth and go through the file and
format the file as you go along.  As far as I know, that is the only
way.  I'm sorry about that.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber