[duxuser] Re: A Transcribing Question

  • From: Dave Durber <dadurber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:31:18 -0500

Quoting the rules is one thing.

Unfortunately, it does not take account of situations where a an
author has placed an italicized attribute around a block of text and,
within the block of text they have also used bold and underscore
attributes.

If this file was created with the use of Word and was then imported
into DBT, the italic, bold and underscore attributes are interpreted
by DBT and the appropriate codes are put into the .DXP file.

Now, the problem is that when the .DXP file is transcribed into the
braille output file, the codes for italic, bold and underscore, as far
as i know, are all converted to dots 4-6.

Having all of the attributes in a printed document may look all fine
and dandy to a person who reads print but, it causes incredible
problems to those of us who read braille.

This is my opinion, for what it is worth,I would strip these
attributes out of the .DXP file.  To do this, with the Search and
Replace function, perform the following:

Search for [fts~b]
Do not put anything in the Replace With edit field

Search for: [fte~b]
Do not put anything in the Replace With edit field

Perform the same function with {fts~i] and [fte~i] to remove the
italic attribute.

Perform the same function with [fts~u] and fte~u] to remove the
underscore attribute.

The resulting .DXB braille output file may not conform to, for
example, the Braille Authority of North America, (BANA) code but, it
should result in a readable plain braille file that can be easily read
by the average braille reader.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber