[softwarelist] Re: OvnPro for Windows

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 14:34:34 +0000

Hi,

In message <5248a444bdriscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, M Harding <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
printing using an ordinary laser printer. Am I right then in thinking
that what I need is the identical font with the same name in both RISC
OS & Windows versions?

Well yes and no. Windows can render PostScript fonts, that's why they work on screen, so I presume it can render them to a non-PostScript printer. To that extent the fonts don't need to be the same type.

The font name does not have to be the same, the font manager built in to OP will let you map names in complicated ways - if you can work out how to use it.

The font outline does not need to be the same, for example Arial is often used to replace Homerton or SwissB, but the characters are a different shape.

What does need to be the same is the font metric, the widths of the characters. If these differ then the layout of your document will go wrong - text may spill out of boxes.

If your font metrics are not the same then all you have to do is force a reflow of the document - make a trivial change to a style.

The OP font manager also offers "replace" as an option for fonts, this actually changes the fonts used in the document - when you get the "missing font message".

We touch on font copyright here, outlines are copyright and not to be copied, metrics are not copyright. This has to be or no one could ever have produced something that could make use of the fonts built in to PostScript printers, short of licensing the fonts.

it into OPro/W. Yet a warning still came up that there was a missing
font.

There were bugs in the past that made OP lose count of the number of times a font was used in a document. Result it thinks you're using a font when you're not.

I believe that if you tell OP to replace missing fonts when prompted, these phantom font references will be thrown away. So that is simple.

A save and load of the DDL version should force a recount - slightly more messy.

Then as Dave Symes said you can start editing DDL fine with me but a lot more complex than the above solutions.

I must agree with what's been observed elsewhere: the quality of the
fonts visually in Windows is atrocious compared with the RISC OS
anti-aliased version!

A pity for us all that the people who bought Windows don't agree with you.

These people are the problem, the ones who bought Windows, the ones who go and stand outside banks in times of financial crisis, the panic buyers.

Talk about the "wisdom of crowds".

 post: David Pilling, P.O. Box 22, Thornton-Cleveleys, Blackpool. FY5 1LR. UK