[softwarelist] Re: OvnPro for Windows

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 13:56:18 +0100

In message <d1fed2154f.jaycee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, JayCee <jaygcee@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

But shouldn't (couldn't) they be saved in the default document that
OvnPro loads when you double click on it - it works under RISCOS that
way.

Ah. I didn't realise you were talking about Windows. The Windows version behaves in this respect in exactly the same way as the RISC OS one.

I think the default document is in the !OvnResDir but there is no
corresponding directory in the Windows version.

True, but not relevant.

I have saved a default
document in the library directory

Don't. Only put script files in the library directory. Putting anything else in there won't do any harm, but since the files will be ignored, it won't do any good either.

and if I open that directory and
click on the default document it does load without the toolbar and
info palette. Maybe I have it in the wrong directory, where is the
default document saved that is loaded when Pro for windows is double
clicked?

Why not just open a new document (which will have the existing defaults), then change any settings you want, and then save default (from the file menu).

If you really want to change the default document by hand, then you can. On Windows there are defaults for many files just like on RISC OS, and usually in similar locations inside the folder which OP is installed in. However there are then a second set of files which are specific to the current user and take precedence, these are saved in the application data folder for the current user. On my XP machine for example:

C:\Documents and Settings\David Pilling\Application Data\DavidPilling\OvationPro

I think the first "David Pilling" would be your user name.

I'd be inclined to use "save default" from the file menu, and then seek out the default file in your equivalent of the above.

I always regret that there is no widely understood short hand for explaining the locations of these folders on Windows.