[cryptome] Re: Cryptome is Back: BBC Monitoring Service.

  • From: Jeremy Compton <j.compton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 21:45:09 +1200

Hi Neil, yes it was very intriguing indeed l do recall seeing this clip a
number of times.

Jeremy

Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 14:09:02 -0700
From: nl1816a@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [cryptome] Re: Cryptome is Back: BBC Monitoring Service.
To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7SwOT29gbchttp://buildingwhat.org/buildingwhat-tv-ad/?guid=ON

     On Saturday, June 28, 2014 3:52 PM, Shaun O'Connor
<capricorn8159@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    @Douggie the opening  4 notes of Beethoven 5th symphony correspond
    to the Morse code sequence dit dit dit daah as you rightly pointed
    out,, that translates to the letter v (v for victory)
    On 28/06/2014 16:30, Neal Lamb wrote:

        http://www.aip.org/history/climate/co2.htm

                On Saturday, June 28, 2014 5:23
                  AM, doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

                    Hi Shaun,
                      Glad you raised that.  One of the problems I have
                      in life is about the meaning of words and concepts
                      and the older I get the more abstruse do the
                      meanings become...to the point of illusion...or is
                      it elusion...When I was young I knew the meaning
                      of everything and the answer to everything...at
                      least that is what me dad used to say.  Now that I
                      am older I have reached the stage of where I
                      mistrust everything, but without quite accepting
                      everything...to paraphrase Oscar Wilde.

                      Such thoughts of mine apply to the words
                      democracy, impartiality, independence and concepts
                      of such ilk.  Not that I am the only person to
                      suffer from such a thing.  One hears those words
                      bandied about every day like they have some kind
                      of precise and universal meaning, like sliced
                      bread; when in fact the very opposite is true.

                      For instance, one could raise the question...in
                      the wartime of World War 2 the BBC was the only
                      link that some countries had with information
                      which was different from that of the Nazi
                      Propoganda machine.  In fact the BBC did even more
                      than that, it was used as a channel of information
                      by the government to inform and guide liberation
                      movements and struggles in occupied territories.
                      It also fulfilled the role of keeping the British
                      speaking peoples informed, in a positive way, i.e.
                      Dunkirk...of how the war was coming along, and how
                      to make spam, an American food import, which is
                      rather ubiquitous today.  It used music from
                      Beethoven's 5th Symphony for instance, one of his
                      dreariest in my view...I can never remember the
                      meaning of the words, though da da di da, I think
                      it was in Morse Code and Chanson d'autoumne was
                      used by Radio Londres as the French called it, for
                      briefing la Resistance.  This use made by the
                      government of the BBC facilities is, of course to
                      be expected...if not welcome...in wartime.
                      see url: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Londres
                      for an intro to the subject.  And it shows the
                      close links which there are between government and
                      a nation's communication systems.   When married
                      to the London Clubs of the time, that little
                      phrase, "It just won't do, old chap" was very
                      effective in the world of censoring words or
                      actions.

                      Of course no one can broadcast television or
                      radio, even amateurs, in our society without
                      having some kind of licence or being
                      registered...that is not just about keeping tabs
                      on people or organisations, or censoring content,
                      but necessary for helping to ensure that
                      electrical interference doesn't stop people from
                      watching the BBC... ;-) .  This
                      is of course, called dual or multi-purpose use,
                      like exporting munitions from the United States,
                      once even included cryptographic software.
                      Nowadays it is allowed, if only because
                      governments export so much of it.  Of course such
                      attempts are never absolute, as there are many
                      local radio stations which operate around the
                      country, illegally, providing copyrighted material
                      for free to our young people, great nashings of
                      teeth of the copyright industry.

                        Much as in the same way the UK's first nuclear
                      plant for power generation at Sellafield which was
                      opened by our Queen in a much vaunted publicity
                      stunt in the 1950's actually had the dual purpose
                      of providing plutonium for our nuclear bomb making
                      industry.  How I, as a child, marvelled at the
                      idea at the time, almost free and unlimited power
                      for the nation. I first read about it in the
                      National Geographic magazine, whilst I was at the
                      dentist with toothache.  I become so absorbed in
                      it, that it removed the pain. What would we do
                      without Sellafield today...all those nuclear fish
                      and large storage tanks leaking chemicals into the
                      soil and Irish sea.  Millions has been spent on
                      trying to clean it up, and they can't agree on
                      where to store it.  Still, we have renamed the
                      place...that should help solve the problem.

                      I have a funny feeling that those words,
                      democracy, independence and impartiality have all
                      sorts of meaning to all sorts of people and
                      organisations and depend so much on context too,
                      that they are meaningless, certainly to me.  It's
                      a bit like science being objective really, when I
                      think science has much more to do with faith...

                      P.S. Now, would you care to tell me what you mean
                      by the phrase that
                       "PRIVACY
                          IS A BASIC RIGHT - NOT A CONCESSION"

                      Not that I disagree with your sentiments, you
                      understand... :-\

                      On 28/06/14 00:20, Shaun O'Connor wrote:

                   well that information Frankly
                    does not surprise me one iota. oh and on the
                    question of the BBC being impartial. I question
                    whether they even know what the word means.
                    and obviously they serve the governments hidden(?)
                    agenda beautifully because there have I think been a
                    number of occasions whereby  if everything was
                    played directly by the book the BBC should have been
                    stripped of its charter.
                    <<snip>>

    --
       PRIVACY IS A BASIC RIGHT - NOT A CONCESSION