[cryptome] Re: Cryptome is Back: BBC Monitoring Service.

  • From: Neal Lamb <nl1816a@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 08:30:38 -0700

http://www.aip.org/history/climate/co2.htm

On Saturday, June 28, 2014 5:23 AM, doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Shaun,
Glad you raised that.  One of the problems I have in life is about
      the meaning of words and concepts and the older I get the more
      abstruse do the meanings become...to the point of illusion...or is
      it elusion...When I was young I knew the meaning of everything and
      the answer to everything...at least that is what me dad used to
      say.  Now that I am older I have reached the stage of where I
      mistrust everything, but without quite accepting everything...to
      paraphrase Oscar Wilde.

Such thoughts of mine apply to the words democracy, impartiality,
      independence and concepts of such ilk.  Not that I am the only
      person to suffer from such a thing.  One hears those words bandied
      about every day like they have some kind of precise and universal
      meaning, like sliced bread; when in fact the very opposite is
      true.

For instance, one could raise the question...in the wartime of
      World War 2 the BBC was the only link that some countries had with
      information which was different from that of the Nazi Propoganda
      machine.  In fact the BBC did even more than that, it was used as
      a channel of information by the government to inform and guide
      liberation movements and struggles in occupied territories. It
      also fulfilled the role of keeping the British speaking peoples
      informed, in a positive way, i.e. Dunkirk...of how the war was
      coming along, and how to make spam, an American food import, which
      is rather ubiquitous today.  It used music from Beethoven's 5th
      Symphony for instance, one of his dreariest in my view...I can
      never remember the meaning of the words, though da da di da, I
      think it was in Morse Code and Chanson d'autoumne was used by
      Radio Londres as the French called it, for briefing la
      Resistance.  This use made by the government of the BBC facilities
      is, of course to be expected...if not welcome...in wartime.
see url: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Londres
for an intro to the subject.  And it shows the close links which
      there are between government and a nation's communication
      systems.   When married to the London Clubs of the time, that
      little phrase, "It just won't do, old chap" was very effective in
      the world of censoring words or actions.

Of course no one can broadcast television or radio, even amateurs,
      in our society without having some kind of licence or being
      registered...that is not just about keeping tabs on people or
      organisations, or censoring content, but necessary for helping to
      ensure that electrical interference doesn't stop people from
      watching the BBC...;-) .  This is of course, called dual or multi-purpose
use, like exporting munitions from the United States, once even included
cryptographic software.  Nowadays it is allowed, if only because governments
export so much of it.  Of course such attempts are never absolute, as there are
many local radio stations which operate around the country, illegally,
providing copyrighted material for free to our young people, great nashings of
teeth of the copyright industry.

  Much as in the same way the UK's first nuclear plant for power
      generation at Sellafield which was opened by our Queen in a much
      vaunted publicity stunt in the 1950's actually had the dual
      purpose of providing plutonium for our nuclear bomb making
      industry.  How I, as a child, marvelled at the idea at the time,
      almost free and unlimited power for the nation. I first read about
      it in the National Geographic magazine, whilst I was at the
      dentist with toothache.  I become so absorbed in it, that it
      removed the pain. What would we do without Sellafield today...all
      those nuclear fish and large storage tanks leaking chemicals into
      the soil and Irish sea.  Millions has been spent on trying to
      clean it up, and they can't agree on where to store it.  Still, we
      have renamed the place...that should help solve the problem.

I have a funny feeling that those words, democracy, independence
      and impartiality have all sorts of meaning to all sorts of people
      and organisations and depend so much on context too, that they are
      meaningless, certainly to me.  It's a bit like science being
      objective really, when I think science has much more to do with
      faith...

P.S. Now, would you care to tell me what you mean by the phrase
      that
 "PRIVACY IS A BASIC RIGHT - NOT A CONCESSION"

Not that I disagree with your sentiments, you understand...:-\

On 28/06/14 00:20, Shaun O'Connor wrote:

well that information Frankly does not surprise me one iota. oh and on the
question of the BBC being impartial. I question whether they even know what the
word means.
and obviously they serve the governments hidden(?) agenda
      beautifully because there have I think been a number of occasions
      whereby  if everything was played directly by the book the BBC
      should have been stripped of its charter.

<<snip>>

 "PRIVACY IS A BASIC RIGHT - NOT A CONCESSION"