[cryptome] Re: Cryptome is Back: BBC Monitoring Service.

  • From: Neal Lamb <nl1816a@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 16:01:07 -0700

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/06/10/world/cia-tie-reported-in-mandela-arrest.html

On Monday, June 30, 2014 4:33 PM, doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Shaun,
Of course it was...thank you for reminding me.  As you can see,
      the radio and television media has always been used for passing
      information on from the state, no matter what country or nation it
      emanates from and no matter how "impartial" or "independent" it is
      defined.  Using music via the mass media to pass on secret
      messages is not the only medium which has been used by the powers
      that be.  In and after World War 2 the media was used by most
      nations to pass on instructions to its various agencies and agents
      abroad.  In a lovely piece of fiction called "The 4th Protocol", I
      think the book was by Fred Forsyth, and it was eventually made
      into afilm. Radio Moscow was used to Broadcast "Moscow Nights" at
      a certain time and during a certain programme as a message to
      unleash a hydrogen bomb at a commemoration of US forces near
      Milton Keynes.  The devious plan, was of course discovered by our
      alert and sophisticated security services and the culprits were
      tracked down.  It was made into a film.  It was the first time I
      came across the world "polonium" which is some kind of radioactive
      material apparently.  I also discovered that Russian fishermen
      were allowed to land their catch at Ullapool, without having to go
      through customs or passport control...and this was at the height
      of the Cold War...Amazing really.

Have you ever heard of Vula?  it was the secret communications
      system used by the African National Congress  to communicate
      between the various groupings of its leadership, in South Africa
      and abroad, and was carried out under the very noses of the South
      African Aparthied and UK authorities.

i believe the story of its development can be found on the ANC
      website in its archives, but I haven't been able to find it,  and
      it may be on cryptome, though I discovered the following url:
http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/37a/043.html

which gives a fair resume of the use of encryption and the
      security practices which its operatives used to keep prying eyes
      away from their data.  It's development was very much a hit and
      miss project, and done on a shoestring.  I have often wondered how
      much the authorities knew about it at the time...

According to Mandela's lawyer, Mandela used his personal prison
      officers to pass on information to the rest of the ANC
      leadership.  Apparently, the prison officer worked for the secret
      service, B.O.S.S. and passed on information from Mandela to his
      superiors.  It took Mandela many years to develop these
      relationships and to be able to trust his prison officer.  the
      problem was that if the messages given to the prison officer
      didn't get through, because the employer, B.O.S.S. didn't pass on
      the messages to the various conduits of the ANC then Mandela would
      have known about it and found out that the officer was a plant.
      It was one of those funny contradictions of history, that one of
      the most secretive and hated security services in the world,
      actually passed on "secret" messages from Mandela to his
      cohorts...funny eh...
Eventually, the head of B.O.S.S. began to smell a rat and asked
      how it was thought up and Mandela apparently replied that he had
      more time to think about it...

On 28/06/14 21:50, Shaun O'Connor wrote:

@Douggie the opening  4 notes of Beethoven 5th symphony correspond to the Morse
code sequence dit dit dit daah as you rightly pointed out,, that translates to
the letter v (v for victory)

On 28/06/2014 16:30, Neal Lamb wrote:

http://www.aip.org/history/climate/co2.htm

>On Saturday, June 28, 2014 5:23 AM, doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>wrote:
>

>Hi Shaun,
>Glad you raised that.  One of the problems I
                        have in life is about the meaning of words and
                        concepts and the older I get the more abstruse
                        do the meanings become...to the point of
                        illusion...or is it elusion...When I was young I
                        knew the meaning of everything and the answer to
                        everything...at least that is what me dad used
                        to say.  Now that I am older I have reached the
                        stage of where I mistrust everything, but
                        without quite accepting everything...to
                        paraphrase Oscar Wilde.

>Such thoughts of mine apply to the words
                        democracy, impartiality, independence and
                        concepts of such ilk.  Not that I am the only
                        person to suffer from such a thing.  One hears
                        those words bandied about every day like they
                        have some kind of precise and universal meaning,
                        like sliced bread; when in fact the very
                        opposite is true.

>For instance, one could raise the question...in
                        the wartime of World War 2 the BBC was the only
                        link that some countries had with information
                        which was different from that of the Nazi
                        Propoganda machine.  In fact the BBC did even
                        more than that, it was used as a channel of
                        information by the government to inform and
                        guide liberation movements and struggles in
                        occupied territories. It also fulfilled the role
                        of keeping the British speaking peoples
                        informed, in a positive way, i.e. Dunkirk...of
                        how the war was coming along, and how to make
                        spam, an American food import, which is rather
                        ubiquitous today.  It used music from
                        Beethoven's 5th Symphony for instance, one of
                        his dreariest in my view...I can never remember
                        the meaning of the words, though da da di da, I
                        think it was in Morse Code and Chanson
                        d'autoumne was used by Radio Londres as the
                        French called it, for briefing la Resistance.
                        This use made by the government of the BBC
                        facilities is, of course to be expected...if not
                        welcome...in wartime.
>see url: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Londres
>for an intro to the subject.  And it shows the
                        close links which there are between government
                        and a nation's communication systems.   When
                        married to the London Clubs of the time, that
                        little phrase, "It just won't do, old chap" was
                        very effective in the world of censoring words
                        or actions.

>Of course no one can broadcast television or
                        radio, even amateurs, in our society without
                        having some kind of licence or being
                        registered...that is not just about keeping tabs
                        on people or organisations, or censoring
                        content, but necessary for helping to ensure
                        that electrical interference doesn't stop people
                        from watching the BBC...;-) .  This is of course,
called dual or multi-purpose use, like exporting munitions from the United
States, once even included cryptographic software.  Nowadays it is allowed, if
only because governments export so much of it.  Of course such attempts are
never absolute, as there are many local radio stations which operate around the
country, illegally, providing copyrighted material for free to our young
people, great nashings of teeth of the copyright industry.

>  Much as in the same way the UK's first nuclear
                        plant for power generation at Sellafield which
                        was opened by our Queen in a much vaunted
                        publicity stunt in the 1950's actually had the
                        dual purpose of providing plutonium for our
                        nuclear bomb making industry.  How I, as a
                        child, marvelled at the idea at the time, almost
                        free and unlimited power for the nation. I first
                        read about it in the National Geographic
                        magazine, whilst I was at the dentist with
                        toothache.  I become so absorbed in it, that it
                        removed the pain. What would we do without
                        Sellafield today...all those nuclear fish and
                        large storage tanks leaking chemicals into the
                        soil and Irish sea.  Millions has been spent on
                        trying to clean it up, and they can't agree on
                        where to store it.  Still, we have renamed the
                        place...that should help solve the problem.

>I have a funny feeling that those words,
                        democracy, independence and impartiality have
                        all sorts of meaning to all sorts of people and
                        organisations and depend so much on context too,
                        that they are meaningless, certainly to me.
                        It's a bit like science being objective really,
                        when I think science has much more to do with
                        faith...

>ATB
>Dougie.
>P.S. Now, would you care to tell me what you
                        mean by the phrase that
> "PRIVACY IS A BASIC RIGHT - NOT A CONCESSION"
>
>Not that I disagree with your sentiments, you
                        understand...:-\

>On 28/06/14 00:20, Shaun O'Connor wrote:
>
>well that information Frankly does not surprise me one iota. oh and on the
>question of the BBC being impartial. I question whether they even know what
>the word means.
>and obviously they serve the governments hidden(?)
                      agenda beautifully because there have I think been
                      a number of occasions whereby  if everything was
                      played directly by the book the BBC should have
                      been stripped of its charter.

--
PRIVACY IS A BASIC RIGHT - NOT A CONCESSION