[cryptome] Re: Cryptome is Back: BBC Monitoring Service.

  • From: doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 11:35:40 +0100

Hi Neal,

Tx for the link. I was talking about Vula, which was the secret communications system developed by the ANC way back in the 1980s' and in use until some time after Mandelas' release from jail rather than who was involved in his original arrest and trial. Remember, whether one agrees with it or not, Mandela was considered as a terrorist by the authorities. He was a dangerous man as far as they were concerned. He was found guilty in court for acts of terrorism, subverting the state and treason and the apartheid regime wanted him sentenced to death.

South Africa was a key player in the struggle for Africa at the time between the USSR and the western powers, and as the leaders of the regime used to boast, they had over 25 key minerals necessary for the production of armaments and weapons of mass destruction. Of course it was the boycott wot brought the regime down. Their white establishment blamed the regime for missing out on the cricket and the good Hollywood films and got bored with killing and torturing blacks...some of them even deciding that perhaps there was a kinder and more peacable way of quelling the rebellion. One of the strange things about aparthied was that in those huge camps of wooden huts, the indigenous peoples had no electricity in their homes, yet all around them were huge lamps which came on from dusk until dawn. Excellent street lighting, in fact.

Due to international public pressure the authorities thought the better of a hanging and decided to sentence him to a long jail term with hard labour. He was, after all, a terrorist, who used violence as a method for change. It is one of the reasons that Amnesty International never supported him. There was no doubt that there was a military wing of the ANC. and that he was not only involved but created it. To take the route of armed struggle to achieve regime change is up to the people concerned in my view, I have no views either way, but it is always a mistake to go to jail.

It took him another 25 years or so, to make the same speech and express the same philosophy which he expressed at his trial. I remember his walk to freedom well, with tears in my eyes.

Interesting to note that the man who was considered by the authorities all over the world, to be one of the worst terrorists of all time and yet, in the latter part of his life, there he was, shaking hands with them and everyone was all smiles and saying what a wonderful person he was...Even met up with Queen 2 of England and 1 of Scotland. Victory belongs to the victors...what an amazing achievement and he worked so long and so hard to achieve it too.

It is also interesting to note that the South Africa of today is not quite that kind of society envisioned by Mandela, the ANC and the communists. They may have got rid of apartheid but it is not the easiest and happiest place to live...as yet no Utopia...more of a dystopia for many...and blacks representing the state are still shooting black workers who are trying to get a better standard of living in the new regime.

P.S. In my naive, idealistic communist younger days, I used to sell a magazine called "Sechaba" on the streets of London, every Saturday for 5/- to help raise money for the ANC. It was the foreign voice of the ANC and I would spend an hour or two on a Saturday selling it on the streets of Ealing Broadway before retiring to the pub across the road for a pie and a pint, whilst Mandela continued breaking up rocks on Roben Island, doing his bit to get rid of apartheid...

On 01/07/14 00:01, Neal Lamb wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/1990/06/10/world/cia-tie-reported-in-mandela-arrest.html

On Monday, June 30, 2014 4:33 PM, doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Shaun,

Have you ever heard of Vula? it was the secret communications system used by the African National Congress to communicate between the various groupings of its leadership, in South Africa and abroad, and was carried out under the very noses of the South African Aparthied and UK authorities.

i believe the story of its development can be found on the ANC website in its archives, but I haven't been able to find it, and it may be on cryptome, though I discovered the following url:
http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/37a/043.html

which gives a fair resume of the use of encryption and the security practices which its operatives used to keep prying eyes away from their data. It's development was very much a hit and miss project, and done on a shoestring. I have often wondered how much the authorities knew about it at the time...

According to Mandela's lawyer, Mandela used his personal prison officers to pass on information to the rest of the ANC leadership. Apparently, the prison officer worked for the secret service, B.O.S.S. and passed on information from Mandela to his superiors. It took Mandela many years to develop these relationships and to be able to trust his prison officer. the problem was that if the messages given to the prison officer didn't get through, because the employer, B.O.S.S. didn't pass on the messages to the various conduits of the ANC then Mandela would have known about it and found out that the officer was a plant. It was one of those funny contradictions of history, that one of the most secretive and hated security services in the world, actually passed on "secret" messages from Mandela to his cohorts...funny eh... Eventually, the head of B.O.S.S. began to smell a rat and asked how it was thought up and Mandela apparently replied that he had more time to think about it...

On 28/06/14 21:50, Shaun O'Connor wrote:
@Douggie the opening 4 notes of Beethoven 5th symphony correspond to the Morse code sequence dit dit dit daah as you rightly pointed out,, that translates to the letter v (v for victory)
On 28/06/2014 16:30, Neal Lamb wrote:
http://www.aip.org/history/climate/co2.htm

On Saturday, June 28, 2014 5:23 AM, doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx> <mailto:douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Shaun,
Glad you raised that. One of the problems I have in life is about the meaning of words and concepts and the older I get the more abstruse do the meanings become...to the point of illusion...or is it elusion...When I was young I knew the meaning of everything and the answer to everything...at least that is what me dad used to say. Now that I am older I have reached the stage of where I mistrust everything, but without quite accepting everything...to paraphrase Oscar Wilde.

Such thoughts of mine apply to the words democracy, impartiality, independence and concepts of such ilk. Not that I am the only person to suffer from such a thing. One hears those words bandied about every day like they have some kind of precise and universal meaning, like sliced bread; when in fact the very opposite is true.

For instance, one could raise the question...in the wartime of World War 2 the BBC was the only link that some countries had with information which was different from that of the Nazi Propoganda machine. In fact the BBC did even more than that, it was used as a channel of information by the government to inform and guide liberation movements and struggles in occupied territories. It also fulfilled the role of keeping the British speaking peoples informed, in a positive way, i.e. Dunkirk...of how the war was coming along, and how to make spam, an American food import, which is rather ubiquitous today. It used music from Beethoven's 5th Symphony for instance, one of his dreariest in my view...I can never remember the meaning of the words, though da da di da, I think it was in Morse Code and Chanson d'autoumne was used by Radio Londres as the French called it, for briefing la Resistance. This use made by the government of the BBC facilities is, of course to be expected...if not welcome...in wartime.
see url: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Londres
for an intro to the subject. And it shows the close links which there are between government and a nation's communication systems. When married to the London Clubs of the time, that little phrase, "It just won't do, old chap" was very effective in the world of censoring words or actions.

Of course no one can broadcast television or radio, even amateurs, in our society without having some kind of licence or being registered...that is not just about keeping tabs on people or organisations, or censoring content, but necessary for helping to ensure that electrical interference doesn't stop people from watching the BBC...;-) . This is of course, called dual or multi-purpose use, like exporting munitions from the United States, once even included cryptographic software. Nowadays it is allowed, if only because governments export so much of it. Of course such attempts are never absolute, as there are many local radio stations which operate around the country, illegally, providing copyrighted material for free to our young people, great nashings of teeth of the copyright industry.

Much as in the same way the UK's first nuclear plant for power generation at Sellafield which was opened by our Queen in a much vaunted publicity stunt in the 1950's actually had the dual purpose of providing plutonium for our nuclear bomb making industry. How I, as a child, marvelled at the idea at the time, almost free and unlimited power for the nation. I first read about it in the National Geographic magazine, whilst I was at the dentist with toothache. I become so absorbed in it, that it removed the pain. What would we do without Sellafield today...all those nuclear fish and large storage tanks leaking chemicals into the soil and Irish sea. Millions has been spent on trying to clean it up, and they can't agree on where to store it. Still, we have renamed the place...that should help solve the problem.

I have a funny feeling that those words, democracy, independence and impartiality have all sorts of meaning to all sorts of people and organisations and depend so much on context too, that they are meaningless, certainly to me. It's a bit like science being objective really, when I think science has much more to do with faith...

P.S. Now, would you care to tell me what you mean by the phrase that
 "*_PRIVACY IS A BASIC RIGHT - NOT A CONCESSION"
_*
Not that I disagree with your sentiments, you understand...:-\

On 28/06/14 00:20, Shaun O'Connor wrote:
well that information Frankly does not surprise me one iota. oh and on the question of the BBC being impartial. I question whether they even know what the word means. and obviously they serve the governments hidden(?) agenda beautifully because there have I think been a number of occasions whereby if everything was played directly by the book the BBC should have been stripped of its charter.
<<snip>>

 "*_PRIVACY IS A BASIC RIGHT - NOT A CONCESSION"_*