[cryptome] Re: Feeling Miserable?

  • From: "Joe Products" <Joe_Products@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 08:19:49 +0200 (CEST)

It's just a theory

http://www.ted.com/talks/chris_domas_the_1s_and_0s_behind_cyber_warfare/
transcript

So let's consider an example of this that's completely theoretical. Suppose
a terrorist wants to blow up a building, and he wants to do this again and
again in the future. So he doesn't want to be in that building when it
explodes. He's going to use a cell phone as a remote detonator. Now, it used
to be the only way we had to stop this terrorist was with a hail of bullets
and a car chase, but that's not necessarily true anymore. We're entering an
age where we can stop him with the press of a buttonfrom 1,000 miles away,
because whether he knew it or not, as soon as he decided to use his cell
phone, he stepped into the realm of cyber. A well-crafted cyber attack could
break into his phone,disable the overvoltage protections on his battery,
drastically overload the circuit, cause the battery to overheat, and
explode. No more phone, no more detonator, maybe no more terrorist, all with
the press of a button from a thousand miles away.

3:51So how does this work? It all comes back to those ones and zeroes.
Binary information makes your phone work, and used correctly, it can make
your phone explode. So when you start to look at cyber from this
perspective, spending your life sifting through binary information starts to
seem kind of exciting.

btw.
If you're cramming more and more power in a small space, what you're making
is a small bomb," said Carl Hilliard, president of the California-based
Wireless Consumers Alliance, which has been tracking incidents of cell phone
fires and explosions.

from 2004

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/exploding-cell-phones-spur-recalls/