[cad-linux] Re: An open CAD file format

  • From: Massimiliano Mirra <mmirra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 05:51:19 +0200

astrojanek@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Indeed the most important thing we have to develop is a very precise and al=
> so very open to extending (but still following the specification) data form=
> at.

I fully agree on openness, and I think precision will come, at the
right rate.  For now it would be nice for the system to enjoy a
healthy wave of stimuli and ideas; it will settle on the best ones
spontaneously.

> to make a better/easier CAD editor for this. Someone is good at spline math=
> ? Great, he will only write a program that allows drawing splines. someone =
> is good at 3d bool operations? great! - he can now write only this. without=
>  interfering with the rest of the data.

Right.  One can think in terms of CAD `platform' rather than `application'.

> ah, well. the only thing I personally miss the most is my autocad style of =
> fast method to work. And yet there are no opensourde cad applications that =
> allow that. Perhaps one based on this file format will be made?
>
> As a intermediate linux C++ programmer I'm eager to help.

One thing there's no lack of is areas in need of development. :-)

I guess higher level topics, such as interface design, file format,
general model of data manipulation are on topic and of interest here.
For discussion about the nitty-gritty implementation details you're
welcome to join the devel mailing list
(http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xspace-devel).

Massimiliano