[cad-linux] Re: An open CAD file format

  • From: Massimiliano Mirra <mmirra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 10:34:29 +0200

Bakul Shah <bakul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> At least until the development of an open CAD program gets to
> a self-sustaining stage I'd use s-expressions to represent
> data.  Here is a somewhat restricted definition:
>
>   An s-expr is a list of atoms or s-exprs where the first
>   element of the list defines the meaning of the whole
>   s-expr.  An atom is a number, string or symbol.  An s-expr
>   is written by enclosing its elements in parentheses.

As an Elisper rookie and a Scheme lover, I can share your attitude
towards sexp's.  There's only one thing that kept me from jumping on
them for the geometry format (except the fact that I was mostly
exploring the higher level concepts): about all common text editing
tools are line-oriented.  I wrote in a previous message that you
cannot grep through a db; you also cannot grep through a sexp (well
you can, it just won't be very useful).  This doesn't mean I am
putting aside either; only that I have some more thinking ahead before
I can give them a try. :-)

Massimiliano