[cad-linux] Re: An open CAD file format

  • From: Massimiliano Mirra <mmirra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 01:55:26 +0200

Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Could an abstraction layer be created which would allow the script to declare
> that it expects 2D static data?  If this is the case, the abstraction layer
> could expose the line as read-only and simply show the script:
>       line:  0 0 10 5
> Of course, any attempts to in-place-modify the line would need to fail or
> else
> when a parametric program moves point A or tries to build a relationship from
> "line", it will be improperly defined.

I think I see what you are getting at.

In the earliest stages of developing the concept, when I wondered
about ability to use whatever programming language, I also wondered
about using ad-hoc file formats best suited to the language one is
using.

For example, at the top of a bash script, one would write:

    #!/bin/bash

    xspace-to_line_oriented

...go on as usual...

At the top of a scheme program, one would write:

    #!/usr/bin/scheme

    (convert-stdin-to-sexps)

*But*, first, this only partially answers your concern (the
xspace-to_line_oriented program and the convert-stdin-to-sexps
function would have to do much more than just converting to the most
useful format, they would also have to go around recalculating things)
and, second, it scares the hell out of me to maintain so many format
conversion programs in a stage where so little is fixed. :-)

To me, the ultimate answer is the ad-hoc filesystem, or anyway a
virtual filesystem over an ad-hoc engine.  This could be as smart as
the /proc filesystem you use to communicate with the kernel, where you
echo a "1" here and there and activate TCP forwarding and such.

Massimiliano