[cad-linux] Re: An open CAD file format

  • From: astrojanek@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 07 Sep 2003 04:18:25 +0200

Hello

I just examined both of those sites http://xspace.sourceforge.net/=20
(tried it, but didn't work at first try)
and=20
http://bugbear.blackfish.org.uk/~bruno/draft/
(also didn't work at first try)

(will keep trying ;))

and I'm excited by this new revolutionary idea!

Indeed the most important thing we have to develop is a very precise and al=
so very open to extending (but still following the specification) data form=
at.

With this data format everyone on the world can easily add his three cents =
to make a better/easier CAD editor for this. Someone is good at spline math=
? Great, he will only write a program that allows drawing splines. someone =
is good at 3d bool operations? great! - he can now write only this. without=
 interfering with the rest of the data.

And other thing is a viewer application. That understands and displays the =
file format. Perhaps lx-viewer could be usad as a starting point?

ah, well. the only thing I personally miss the most is my autocad style of =
fast method to work. And yet there are no opensourde cad applications that =
allow that. Perhaps one based on this file format will be made?

As a intermediate linux C++ programmer I'm eager to help.

janek kozicki