[cad-linux] An open CAD file format

  • From: Bruno Postle <bruno@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CAD Linux list <cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 23:15:49 +0100

Hi list,

I've long since been dissatisfied with existing CAD software, in
particular, the file formats they've produced tend to annoy with
their inflexibility.

So I've been working on devising a text-based CAD file format that
is easy to manipulate with simple tools, the really interesting part
is that it has a number of very cool features that would otherwise
have to be implemented with difficulty at the application-level:

*  Crash resistant data format.

*  Object-oriented xrefs/blocks/symbols with multiple inheritance, aggregation
   and polymorphism.

*  Multiple users can edit the same data at the same time.

*  Infinite undo.

*  Diff and patch friendly.

*  Release tagging, development branching and versioning.

*  Other stuff too, the format is extremely extensible.

This isn't just hot-air, I've written a tiny proof-of-concept
application that can be used to demonstrate all of this:

    http://bugbear.blackfish.org.uk/~bruno/draft/

I'd be interested to hear any comments.

--
Bruno