[cad-linux] Re: An open CAD file format

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 08:48:11 -0500

> The following was supposedly scribed by
> Massimiliano Mirra
> on Sunday 07 September 2003 01:11 am:

> Is writing the
>program so that it understands such language/protocol significantly
>faster and/or more robust than writing it so that it understands a
>format?

Yes, and more maintainable.  If the format changes but the program is still
able to query/fetch/save data in the same way (with an updated library and a
re-compile of course), then you have saved huge amount of coding and
debugging time in bringing the software up-to-date.

I think the format needs to be abstracted far enough away from the main code
so that no changes need to be made to support a format change.

--Eric