[cad-linux] Re: An open CAD file format

  • From: Alvin Oga <alvin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CAD Linux list <cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 16:29:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, Bruno Postle wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I've long since been dissatisfied with existing CAD software, in
> particular, the file formats they've produced tend to annoy with
> their inflexibility.
>
> So I've been working on devising a text-based CAD file format that
> is easy to manipulate with simple tools, the really interesting part
> is that it has a number of very cool features that would otherwise
> have to be implemented with difficulty at the application-level:
>
> *  Crash resistant data format.
>
> *  Object-oriented xrefs/blocks/symbols with multiple inheritance, aggregation
>    and polymorphism.

must be able to break the symbols and block into individual components
and modify it into  new-block   and move "new-block" as  whole

> *  Multiple users can edit the same data at the same time.

good thing for *nix that it can be done

lots o version control fun

> *  Infinite undo.

infinite "redo" also  even without the skipped over mistakes
so that you dont have to fix/redo the correct stuff  that was
undone during the undo

> *  Diff and patch friendly.
>
> *  Release tagging, development branching and versioning.

a biggie ... and everybody has their own version control
that spans 10-20 years of their products

> *  Other stuff too, the format is extremely extensible.

api to import  xyz  formats
        -- add additional data that was missing in "xyz" format

api to export in abc output for sheetmetal, documentation, in-house
requirements

easy point-n-click interface to create/edit drawings
        - if some one is able to use  ijkl interface ( cad app )
        they should be able to use those keystrokes

response time for doing a simple dwg  vs a 1000 page interrelated
dwg should be roughly the same

===
=== same theory/implementaion can also be used for electrical dwgs too
===

fun stuff ...

have fun
alvin