[cad-linux] Re: An open CAD file format

  • From: Massimiliano Mirra <mmirra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 08:11:40 +0200

Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I'm working on an idea to allow programs to assume that the data
> will tell them what they need to know instead of having to parse the
> data, perform some translation, make an educated guess, and then
> think that they know what they need to know.

Very interesting!  Would you care to expand a bit?

From the little I can guess, it seems that, if the data has to tell
the program what it needs to know, it has to tell it through a
language/protocol that the program understands.  Is writing the
program so that it understands such language/protocol significantly
faster and/or more robust than writing it so that it understands a
format?