[bookport] Re: the d e f command

  • From: DanFlasar@xxxxxxx
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:28:34 EST

Angie is right - NIMH (Nickel Metal Hydride - not National Institute of
Mental Health) provides a longer usable charge over NiCads (Nickel Cadmium
batteries - a much older technology).  I use NiMH exclusively and get a  good
return
on my investment.  Consider that a pack of 4 AA rechargeable  NiMH batteries
will cost around $12, but you will be able to recharge them up to  50 times.
4 alkaline cells might cost you $2 at a cheapie place, but once  they burn
out, they're done and you have to get rid of them  somewhere.   And
unfortunately, as I noted earlier, most recycling  places don't accept them -
or any
battery, for that matter.

  But do the math,    You can buy 4 batteries and  a one-hour charger for
$35.   Let's be conservative and say you'll get  30 charges.  At $2 for 4
alkalines, you'd have to spend $60 to get the same  bang for your buck and you
will
have then sent 120 batteries to the landfill or  the recycler.  You can also
buy some more rechargeables to further increase  your savings.  I bought my
first charger 20 years ago - it took overnight  for a full charge.  I've bought
4
more chargers since then - a 4 hour,  a 2 hour and  2 2 hour chargers - one
for US power and one for European  power sources.   I estimate I've saved more
than a thousand dollars  this way.
    But even rechargeables die eventually, and they  are  just as bad for the
environment as the alkalines and other bettery  types (there are now platinum
and magnesium batteries available).
     You will still have the same problem to get rid of  the dead batteries,
but there will be a *lot* fewer of them.
    This isn't the forum to discuss environmental  matters.  Suffice it to
say that saving your money is a good idea.   It's always to conserve what you
have, save as much money as you can and do your  best to keep our air and water
clean.  After all, you - and your kids -  have to beathe that air and drink
that water eventually.  It's true that  driving a car, riding a bus or flying
in
a plane all contribute to  pollution.   Walking doesn't, nor does bike-riding
but many cities are  not setup for those activities or it's too far to walk
or ride to work, and if  you're blind, that will eliminate bike commuting.
    Eventually, as oil gets more expensive, we'll all learn  how to do m ore
with less. Better get in practice.
Dan
Oh, and by the way, I want to note that as far as conserving energy, the
Bookport is exceptional!   60 hours of reading on 2  batteries?!   What a deal!

I join Mother Earth in thanking APH  for their energy miserliness.  Way to go!