[blindcooks] Re: Introduction and Dinner Favorites

  • From: "Jonathan Rawlings" <twosocks76@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 22:11:34 -0700

Karen:
Welcome to the group, and thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. You asked a lot of questions, and rough my day has been, I hope I can remember to address them all. I am a dedicated bread baker. I have not bought a loaf of sandwich bread in nearly 13 years. My best loaves are white sandwich bread, wheat sandwich bread, country-style French bouls, all kinds of rolls, and I'm starting to get good at baguettes as well. I also now make my own hamburger buns and hot dog buns with the help of some new special pans I ordered designed just for these items. I have always loved sourdough bread, but have not, as of yet, begun my own starter. All I know about making a good starter so far is to start it using dark rye flour, and filtered, clean water, meaning no tap water, at least where I live. There are many other types of bread I'm looking to take on soon. But right now, I am just trying to get through each day with a new baby that turns a month old tomorrow. This is in addition to my older daughter that turns three in a couple weeks. I am a huge fan of gas cooktops and would never willingly choose anything else. Nothing generates the heat like a gas flame, and nothing offers the control and responsiveness of gas either. I hate electric stovetops with a passion. As to dishes on regular rotation at my house, let's just say that with maybe a small handful of exceptions, it is unusual for us to have the same thing for dinner more than once every 6 weeks or so. I plan my menus carefully, and am almost always trying a new recipe or two with each menu. We have so many dishes that have made my tried and true list that most of our menu is cycling through that long list, adding new ones when they turn out well. But, there are a handful I make more than others, such as my firehouse chicken, sweet hot mustard chicken thighs, 7-layer burritos like they used to have at taco bell years ago, burgers, taco salad, sloppy Joes, barbecue chicken, honey mustard pork chops, and a number of pasta sauces made in the slow cooker, to name a few. With the new arrival to the family, I have had to make a real effort to scale back and aim for recipes and dishes that are on the easier and faster side to make. This is in addition to all the bread and sweet treats I make a couple times a week. So, I hope you find a whole lot of useful stuff here and participate in the discussions often. Now, it's been a rough day, my nerves are shot, and I'm pretty much off to bed. Again, glad you found the list.
  Jon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karen" <butterfly05@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>