[bksvol-discuss] Re: The down side of this page break thing

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 12:15:27 -0500 (EST)

Paula

BookShare doesn't want a small collection.  I think that perhaps some of
the powers in Palo Alto are attempting to address some of the outside
criticisms the service gets from those that hold it to the NLS type
standards.
Unfortunately, those blind perfectionists, as I call the ney sayers, don't
fully understand what BookShare is and attempts to be, a sharing medium,
and holds the service to a notion it likely can never attain if it
continues to make available the amount of material it does.
BookShare gets its submissions from volunteer scanners; and those people
who are disappointed often are the same ones that complained about the
recorded books from volunteer organizations when they were in school.
Little do they stop to think that if it were not for those dedicated
readers who imperfectly recorded their textbooks they'd have no books at
all or, if they did, the preparation time would have been far greater.
And it is the very nature of the BookShare system why the publishing
industry shouldn't fear it anymore than they feared Recording for the
Blind, Educational Tape Recording for the Blind, and other grassroot
volunteer projects.