[bksvol-discuss] Re: The down side of this page break thing

  • From: "Rui Cabral" <rui@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:26:06 -0500

Hi Everyone:

The bottom line here is that even with the fact that bookshare is a
volunteer organization, we can do better.

The technology is currently at hand where this is quite possible.  it does
not and should not have to be some distant eutopian vision.
For instance, sometime back I validated an 870-page book and it was over
99.8% accurate.  You didn't find an error for pages at a time. (nice job
Kenneth)
Then i see books that are a third that size and have 4 times as many errors.
I litterally got a headache trying to go through it.
Needless to say that book didn't make the grade.
In my opinion, (this is my opinion only) the ratings should be good and
excellent only.
Yes I'm aware there are books which are mistakenly marked as fair.  But
removing those from the equation for a moment, I believe there should only
be 2 ratings.

 Now quite frankly the fact that with NLS you only new what page it was
every 40 pages or so ticked me off.  But I didn't have a choice.  We have a
very, very rare opportunity here ladies and gentlemen to shape the service
to meet the needs of the (paying) customer.

If certain members can deal with reading *:s`gjkxl xlt/; passages like that
then more power to you.  I certainly can't and I know i'm not alone.

Members who can read those passages can also read a near-perfect scan.  I
however, can not read a scan riddled with errors, missing words, etc.
(Nothing like decoding a book)

As far as the pagebreaks go, if it is a good scan and if it has page #s then
I will insert page breaks.  Those however, are 2 big if's.
Believe me, I do not like rejecting books, that was someones work and I
recognize that.

But what I don't want to do is reduce bookshare to a crapshoot in terms of
when our paying customers download a book to read, is it readable?

After all, some of the books on my rescan page are rated "excellent."

-- Rui
 Bookshare.org Unofficial Volunteer Scanning Page
http://members.cox.net/booksharescans
hatemail can be sent to: rui@xxxxxxxx