[bksvol-discuss] Re: The down side of this page break thing

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:59:10 -0500

Hi Mike,

I'd have to agree with you here, we don't want to set the bar too high.
I think we could do away with allot of these problems if there was a good page of instructions and hints for scanners and validators.
It should go into how to set up your software (the most common, like MS Word) so that it won't muck about with page breaks, how to clean-up headers, what extraneous characters scanners should search for and destroy, what software packages will and won't deal with txt files appropriately, and what really is a valid reason for rejecting a book.
Yes, there should also be some hints on setting up your scanning package, and how to optimize it, but a good many of these problems we have been talking about lately can be more easily accomplished by being careful in the post scan processing.
I think this wish to strive for perfection is actually causing some of the problems.
In closing, I would have to say, that you are probably more ready to submit than you might believe. My personal opinion, and that's all it is, is that it is not the beginner that falls into some of these traps, but rather the intermediate striving for perfection. Yes no one starts out an expert, and I'm sure I'm going to get some argument here, but I do believe that some help files and guidelines could preclude some of the growing pains between the novice and expert.

Dave

At 10:14 AM 11/12/2004, you wrote:
Interesting conversation!

A couple of observations:

(1)  As Marissa has said, this problem applies only to a small subset of
submissions.

(2)  This discussion shows the problems of what happens when idealism and
the desire for perfection meets the reality of dealing countless
volunteers working often independently in numerous locations using a wide
variety of scanners, ocr packages, editing tools, and
uploading/downloading software.
Those outside BookShare who love criticizing the service often don't sit
down to understand exactly what issues the system faces.  Given all that
the system has to deal with, it is remarkable, and this is a testament to
the efforts of the scanners and validators, just how good the average
BookShare book happens to be.

While it is good to race the bar of expectations, we shouldn't raise it
too high where it slows down the amount of material available.  And if the
bar is too high, beginning scanners such as myself who frankly are no
where ready to submit anything will feel that we are inadequate to attempt
to submit.
This is where the quality rating system becomes important; as long as
poorly scanned books are labeled as such, the potential downloader has
forewarning to decide if he/she can accept that.
A poorly scanned book is better than no book in my estimation; and a
poorly rated book can always be replaced by a better one down the road.