[bksvol-discuss] Re: The down side of this page break thing

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:58:53 -0500

Hi Kellie,

That sounds exactly like what may have happened. I wouldn't really feel comfortable sighting titles, as I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to single them out.
If you know the submitter you were referring to, could you ask them what format they were converting from, and what program they used to convert, when they switched over the old files to RTF. If they were attempting to avoid the txt page break issue, I would much rather deal with txt files with correct page breaks than RTF with totally arbitrary breaks.
Of the four or five books I didn't feel as though I had either enough time or patience to deal with, all were quite good scans, but at least 2 had the headers removed so putting breaks would depend on finding the page numbers, and one was non-fiction and the headers changed from chapter or section to section.
If you want to pass my e-mail address along to the submitter, if you know them, and they still have the original files (before RTF) perhaps we could brain storm off list on how to retain the correct page breaks.

Dave

At 12:15 PM 11/12/2004, you wrote:
Hi Dave and all,
I may be able to shed some light on this issue of rtf files without page
breaks. There is at least one volunteer who has books scanned a long time
ago by an older Ocr package. When they were converted to rtf, the page
breaks were not kept. I've worked on a couple of them though, and they had a
good running header/footer so that if you don't mind reading the whole thing
you can throw in the breaks.
It might be a good thing if the volunteers who've released books because of
this problem would list the books by name on the list so we could know which
ones they were. That way maybe someone with time and interest in reading the
book would download it and insert the page breaks. The submitter I'm
referring to submits some books that are probably rare, so it would be worth
having them, and it might be hard to find them in order to rescan.
Kellie