[bksvol-discuss] Re: Qustion on manual

  • From: Julia <julia.kulak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 12:26:07 -0500

Hi list.
I agree with Valerie as well.
As someone who uses speech to read bookshare books, more specifically Kurzweil, because of the way I have my punctuation set, I don't hear when there is a quote so I wouldn't know that it was a caption, and would think it was part of the text of the book, having the word "caption" would make it very clear what the text is.
Julia

On 19/11/2011 5:58 PM, Valerie Maples wrote:
Vivian mentioned she had found in the volunteer manual to simply enclose a caption in quotes, as mentioned here:
https://wiki.benetech.org/display/BSO/4.8+Y.+Format+for+image+description+tags#4.8Y.Formatforimagedescriptiontags-formattouseforimagedescriptionswithcaptions
The example given is:
*[image: A young boy in mid-air as he dives off a pier into a small lake. Already in the water is * *an older man, standing and smiling.*
*"Having fun on hot days."]*
But I have always done it like this:
*[image: A young boy in mid-air as he dives off a pier into a small lake. Already in the water is * *an older man, standing and smiling.*
*caption: Having fun on hot days.]*

I can develop new habits, but to me, the other is more clear, espcially if the caption is a quote already in quotation marks. Is there a reason for the change?
Valerie

Keep up with Nichole's recovery: