[bksvol-discuss] Re: Qustion on manual

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 23:00:40 -0600

Hi everyone!

I prefer the way Valerie has been designating image descriptions and captions. It's important to know which is which and that neither the image text nor the caption text is part of the body, and I don't have all punctuation turned on unless I'm proofreading in Word, so the square brackets would not be voiced while doing pleasure reading whether at the computer with the Victor Reader softwear or on my Book Sense.

Debby

At 04:58 PM 11/19/2011, Valerie Maples wrote
Vivian mentioned she had found in the volunteer manual to simply enclose a caption in quotes, as mentioned here:

<https://wiki.benetech.org/display/BSO/4.8+Y.+Format+for+image+description+tags#4.8Y.Formatforimagedescriptiontags-formattouseforimagedescriptionswithcaptions>https://wiki.benetech.org/display/BSO/4.8+Y.+Format+for+image+description+tags#4.8Y.Formatforimagedescriptiontags-formattouseforimagedescriptionswithcaptions

The example given is:
[image: A young boy in mid-air as he dives off a pier into a small lake. Already in the water is an older man, standing and smiling.
"Having fun on hot days."]

But I have always done it like this:

[image: A young boy in mid-air as he dives off a pier into a small lake. Already in the water is an older man, standing and smiling.
caption: Having fun on hot days.]

I can develop new habits, but to me, the other is more clear, espcially if the caption is a quote already in quotation marks. Is there a reason for the change?

Valerie

Keep up with Nichole's recovery:

                mailto:<the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
--
The tongue of the wise uses knowledge rightly, But the mouth of fools pours forth foolishness.
Proverbs 15:2 NKJV

"Teach me, and I will hold my tongue
; Cause me to understand wherein I have erred.
Job 6:24 NKJV