[bksvol-discuss] Re: Ok, I'm confused! What's next?

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 15:23:31 -0400

Let me say that I have seen sidebars that do nothing but repeat the exact words that some part of the text already said. In that case they contribute nothing and I think they can be deleted. By the way, Deb, it sounds like you picked a tough book for your first scan. I would have picked another one until I got the hang of it. Uh, that is, I would have picked another one if I had known what I was getting into. My first scan had little problems like photos of newspaper articles that were printed diagonally. That is not something a beginner should tackle, but I did anyway.

On 6/26/2014 9:43 PM, Judy s. wrote:
Hi Deb, Kim's suggestion regarding sidebars is great. I've done many books with sidebars and I do the following in addition to what Kim said.

Separate the text of the book from the text of the sidebar by putting three asterisks on a line by themself, one set before the text contained within the sidebar, one set after. Then, on the line of text where the sidebar begins, put the word Sidebar in as Kim suggests, but put that word inside of square brackets. Also, keep the text that's in the sidebar on the actual page of text where it appears, but it's perfectly reasonable to move where it falls within that page so that it doesn't break up a paragraph. Sidebars rarely are embedded into the middle of a paragraph in the original printed text. That's why they're called "sidebars" -- they are a column of text or box of text that appears to one side or the other of the normal printed text for a page. smile. The way they get embedded in an OCRed scan is usually an artifact of how OCRing and scanning works.

Here's an example then of what you want the page to be:

paragraph of text
paragraph of text
***
[sidebar:] text from sidebar
***
paragraph of text

I hope that makes sense. smile.

In regards to working with the file in .rtf format, that definitely makes sense. Whatever editor you use (Kurzweil and Microsoft Word are the two that most volunteers use if they are working on a windows system), though, make certain that it retains the page breaks that Omnipage has preserved in your scanned files. Some editors that can work with .rtf files (like Wordpad) strip out the hard page breaks, which you don't want an editor to do.

Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>

On 6/26/2014 8:24 PM, Kim Friedman wrote:
Hi Deb, with regard to sidebars, I can't advise you since I have proofread
fiction and not non-fiction. I've dealt with appendices, footnotes, casts of
characters, but not sidebars. Probably what you'd do is write Sidebar with a
colon after it and proceed to make sure what's in the sidebar. I personally
think if sidebars are located within a paragraph of text, I probably would
prefer to read the whole paragraph of the text, then read the sidebar
connected to it. I do not know what other submitters would say, but the
question arises   about whether sidebars are located in such a way as to
make sense. Again, I don't know what other submitters will say. With regard
to working the format in .rtf, it sounds like a good idea, especially if
you're saving your file as an .rtf file. As for me, I generally open the
file and proofread it in Word, but I have used Kurzweil when Word was being
squirrelly. Regards, Kim Friedman.