[bksvol-discuss] Re: More Questions about proofreading.

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 20:22:24 -0500

#
If we are not to leave no spaces before and after the M dashes I will have to reinstall my Open Book. Ever since Mayrie told me to not put the spaces in I have been adding words with m dashes between them to my Open Book dictionary so that the next time the spell checker comes across it, it will ignore it. By now I have a pretty large collection of m dash connected words in that dictionary.
On 11/18/2013 4:42 AM, Judy s. wrote:
I don't think you've got it wrong, Valerie! I hope not ... because according to the documentation I have from Mayrie there should not be any spaces around an em-dash.

I'd like to hear from Madeleine on this one too, as it's obviously another thing that's getting confused in terms of what's current correct protocol! smile.

Judy s.
On 11/18/2013 2:19 AM, Valerie Maples wrote:
Now I am *so* confused, Cindy! I thought we were to remove spaces before and after an em-dash. Ugh! Hope I have not been doing it wrong; some of my books have tons of them. I thought the only thing we put spaces before and after are most ellipsis, with certain exceptions like next to quotation marks. Hopefully Madeleine will set the record straight!

Valerie

On Nov 18, 2013, at 12:42 AM, Cindy Rosenthal <grandcyn77@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:grandcyn77@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

As someone may have explained; the em dash indicates a pause in thought between 2 phrases or ideas; similar to but different from elipses. There should be a space before and after the em dash so the words don't run together; if you have a book in which that's not the case you should report it to quality control so the book can be fxed

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 10:16 PM, <ohio1803@xxxxx <mailto:ohio1803@xxxxx>> wrote:

    *You folks are amazing. I really appreciate how hard you all work.*
    *I appreciated reading the posts on this thread. How important
    and serious this business. To make all of our reading material
    just as fine as it can be.*
    *Thank you!*
    **
    *I have not tried to proofread a submitted book for quite some
    time.*
    *I am still baffled and confused by it all, and have just
    continued to do the best job I can in scanning some books that I
    want to read, and to prepare the book in the best condition that
    I can, based largely in part as to what I understand is best for
    acceptance the proofreader’ time.*
    **
    *This thread showed me I think that it is still best to move
    page numbers to the top of the page. *
    *As to the m dash, I have never done anything with them, but had
    wondered what was to be done. I do find them often an irritant *
    *to the reading experience, hearing the words running together,
    sometimes to even make it hard to understand the words.*
    **
    *Thanks again.*
    *Rik*