[bksvol-discuss] Re: More Questions about proofreading.

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 15:19:06 -0600

A million thanks, Madeleine, for clarifying this and getting it to us. smile. It's very helpful.

Judy s.
On 11/19/2013 3:12 PM, Madeleine Linares wrote:
Hi Judy and everyone,

So sorry for my delayed response. I wanted to confirm a few things with our
other staff.

I have always been told that section breaks and page breaks were handled in the
same way. I never knew that you guys didn't know that! I'm very sorry about
this. For this reason I have no idea when that information changed but I would
imagine it happened sometime before I started.

As for getting more information, I completely agree! We have not been able to
get any more information about the converter yet unfortunately. Believe me,
it's as important to us in-house and it's something we're working hard to find
out.

Here is what I've been told about the things you've mentioned:

Section breaks and page breaks are treated the same way.
Tabs are not recognized and extra blank spaces are removed (tabs are just
treated as one blank space).
Extra blank lines are removed (which is one of the reasons why we use the three
asterisks to show breaks in the text since trying to put in extra lines to show
that break won't work).
Page numbers should be consistent throughout the text but they can be at the
top or at the bottom of the page.
M-dashes should not have spaces around them.

I definitely hear all of your concerns and I do understand your frustration in
not having concrete answers. I am equally frustrated and doing my best to get
some answers. In the meantime, thanks for asking questions and I hope to
provide you with better answers soon.

Best,

Madeleine Linares
Volunteer Coordinator