[bksvol-discuss] Re: More Questions about proofreading.

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 20:15:25 -0500

#
I will repeat what I was told on this list by our now departed Mayrie. She said to leave the m dashes alone and with no spaces between them and the words that they separate. The converter will handle them.
On 11/18/2013 1:42 AM, Cindy Rosenthal wrote:
As someone may have explained; the em dash indicates a pause in thought between 2 phrases or ideas; similar to but different from elipses. There should be a space before and after the em dash so the words don't run together; if you have a book in which that's not the case you should report it to quality control so the book can be fxed

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 10:16 PM, <ohio1803@xxxxx <mailto:ohio1803@xxxxx>> wrote:

    *You folks are amazing. I really appreciate how hard you all work.*
    *I appreciated reading the posts on this thread. How important and
    serious this business. To make all of our reading material just as
    fine as it can be.*
    *Thank you!*
    **
    *I have not tried to proofread a submitted book for quite some time.*
    *I am still baffled and confused by it all, and have just
    continued to do the best job I can in scanning some books that I
    want to read, and to prepare the book in the best condition that I
    can, based largely in part as to what I understand is best for
    acceptance the proofreader’ time.*
    **
    *This thread showed me I think that it is still best to move page
    numbers to the top of the page. *
    *As to the m dash, I have never done anything with them, but had
    wondered what was to be done. I do find them often an irritant *
    *to the reading experience, hearing the words running together,
    sometimes to even make it hard to understand the words.*
    **
    *Thanks again.*
    *Rik*