[bksvol-discuss] Re: More Questions about proofreading.

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 18:58:25 -0600

Valerie, thanks so much for the input, I really appreciate it. But this is one of those instances where I want a definitive answer from a Bookshare staff member, so we're all on the same page so to speak. (grin).

Judy s.
On 11/19/2013 4:57 PM, Valerie Maples wrote:
That is my experience, Judy. In the Nancy Drew books, the page number is
usually on the bottom of the page on the first page of a chapter, but at the
top and all the rest. Mis-pagination occurs frequently on those books if they
are not aligned all top or all bottom. Sometimes it skips those pages sometimes
it gives it two page numbers, but rarely is it correct. Like Cindy, I find it
much easier to make sure all my pages are paginated if they are on the top, so
if I have to do much modification, I move them all to the top. As a sighted
reader I find it much more helpful to have the page numbers at the top anyway.

I do a lot of things that are probably not mandatory, but they help me be
complete and not have to worry about additional problems the tool may create. A
couple of things I have been told have been “fixed”, but it doesn’t appear that
way in my books, so I continue to do things. Better safe than sorry in my book

Valerie

On Nov 19, 2013, at 3:34 PM, Judy s. <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Madeleine, I just re-read these and a clarification question popped into my head on
one of them, the one that says "Page numbers should be consistent throughout the
text but they can be at the top or at the bottom of the page."

I want to make sure I'm interpreting that correctly. That means that the
converter works properly if and only if: all the page numbers in a book are
consistently at the top of the pages or all the page numbers are consistently
at the bottom of all the pages. Is that right?

In other words, the converter doesn't work correctly regarding what it does
with page numbers if we submit a book that has all the page numbers, but some
are at the top of the pages and some are at the bottom.

I would therefore assume we as volunteers really have two goals regarding page
numbering.  One, all page numbers must be retained and Two, we should always
move page numbers so that they are all at the top of pages, or all at the
bottom of pages if within the original printed book they sometimes appear at
the top of the pages and sometimes at the bottom.

Correct?

Thanks!

Judy s.