[bksvol-discuss] Re: If text is too good

  • From: "Paula and James Muysenberg" <outofsightlife@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 16:23:42 -0500

    The guidelines for validating simply state that a book should be
rejected, if it contains a statement such as, "Etext from", or "Etext by",.
Bookshare staff has never, to my knowledge, indicated that a book without
errors should be suspect. I personally take forever to submit anything,
because I go through it thoroughly myself, and then have it checked by a
sighted family member. I would be very disappointed if, after all that time
and work, someone accused me of simply getting the book off a website
somewhere.

    As has already been mentioned, Ebooks can also contain errors, so the
fact that a book is error-free can be no proof that it wasn't scanned by the
submitter. With the continued improvements in OCR software, I think we ought
to be expecting more books with fewer flaws.

Regards,
Paula