[bksvol-discuss] Re: If text is too good

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 14:19:20 -0400 (EDT)

Mary

Thanks for validating the book. If the book had come from a submitter I had recognized, then I would not have questioned it. When I don't recognize the name, I attempt to be doubly careful as my first responsibility is to BookShare and meeting their guidelines of a book not being a submission of an etext from somewhere else.
I'd be interested in comments from Jesse or Peter in how to deal with such a submission in the future.
When something looks too good in comparison to the norm, red flags pop up.

And as for the notion of innocent until proven guilty, my responsibility is, to the best extent I can, to protect BookShare from legal action from an author or publisher. Defending a suit by BookShare, even if they are ultimately vindicated, is a mighty expensive proposition I'm afraid.