[bksvol-discuss] Re: Harry Potter

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 17:09:55 -0500

yeah the publishers in America Scholastic I think it was, thought that kids
and adults would be turned off with a title like "philosopher's Stone"
smile, so they asked him to change it.

Though in alcomy, which the "sorcery's Stone" is taken from a "philosopher"
is actually someone who would do what a Sorcer would do.

Also for you Harry potter fans.  J.K. Rowling, wanted to put her real name
on the books Joanne Kathleen, but the publisher said that boys wouldn't want
to read a book by a girl, so she went with her initials.

There are surprisingly a lot of different meanings from British to American
words.

From our word for Napkin, in the U.K. a diaper, to our word for "sweater"
which is a "jumper" in the U.K. and so on.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council
www.guidedogs.com