[birdky] Schochoh, Logan Co., weekend list

  • From: "Debby & Steve Tyson" <tyson9152@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 20:40:55 -0500

In spite of lousy weather, this turned out to be a great bird weekend here
at Schochoh.  We ended with 46 species, the last counted was a Great Horned
Owl heard booming from the fencerow, across the field, more than an hour
before sunset.  We recorded FOS Myrtle and Palm Warblers among the five
warbler species.  Tennessee Warblers seemed to be everywhere, all weekend.
We also counted FOS Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Dark-eyed Junco, Swamp Sparrow and
the first Field Sparrow in months.  We watched all weekend for our crowd of
White-crowned Sparrows, which were here by this time last year.but they're
still no-show.  I missed identifying several swallows that were in a hurry
to somewhere, but did count a very late pair of Purple Martins, yesterday.
By far, the big highlight was a house-list-first Peregrine Falcon that
appeared out of the foggy mist this morning (~8:10 CDT) and flew past,
almost directly overhead.  It was low enough that it had to rise slightly to
clear Post oak tree, on the south side of the house.  The Harriers are
definitely here.  Beside the one we counted here, we saw three tilting over
the same field, today, along Hall's Store Road.

Stephen Tyson, Schochoh, Logan Co., KY

Species Name:

Northern Bobwhite

Turkey Vulture