[birdky] Schochoh, Logan Co., weekend list

  • From: "Debby & Steve Tyson" <tyson9152@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 20:34:55 -0500

This is the third weekend list in a row that we're reporting 40 species, and
the sixth in a row that lists Blue-gray Gnatcatcher.  Our Robins were
no-show for the second consecutive weekend and we missed other regulars too,
like Carolina Wren, C. Grackle and Cooper's Hawk.   I watched a fly-over by
a half dozen, or so, small wading birds that I did not identify.  We counted
two warblers and I did not include a third that I suspect was a Common
Yellowthroat.  This morning, soon after sunrise, I watched Summer and
Scarlet Tanagers in the same tree, which shades the house to the west.  I
think the Scarlet was only the second recorded in our nine years here.  I
watched a juvenile Red-headed Woodpecker for a while (this morning)
wrestling with a willow oak acorn that it eventually managed to pull free,
along with some leaves.  It proceeded to try to stuff it, leaved and all,
into a crevasse in a dead limb on a nearby post oak tree!  A number of Blue
Jays, which have been scarce this summer, were around this morning,
apparently to check out the same acorns (which don't seem ready for
"harvest").  I also need to note that the Black and white Warbler that I
reported last weekend was a first here (not sure how I missed that last
week!) and takes our house list to 119 species. Stephen Tyson, Adairville
(Schochoh), Logan Co., KY
Species Name

American Goldfinch

American Kestrel

American Redstart

Black Vulture

Blue Grosbeak

Blue Jay

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Brown Thrasher

Brown-headed Cowbird

Carolina Chickadee

Chimney Swift

Chipping Sparrow

Cliff Swallow

Common Nighthawk

Downy Woodpecker

Eastern Bluebird

Eastern Wood-Pewee

Eurasian Collared-Dove

European Starling

Great Horned Owl

House Finch

House Sparrow

Indigo Bunting

Killdeer

Mourning Dove

Northern Bobwhite

Northern Cardinal

Northern Flicker

Northern Mockingbird

Red-headed Woodpecker

Red-winged Blackbird

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Scarlet Tanager

Song Sparrow

Summer Tanager

Tufted Titmouse

Turkey Vulture

White-breasted Nuthatch

Yellow-throated Warbler

When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/default.htm