[birdky] Schochoh, Logan Co., weekend list

  • From: "Debby & Steve Tyson" <tyson9152@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 20:02:24 -0600

We counted 29 species around the house this weekend.  The highlight was a
bunch of crows harassing a Great Horned Owl, in the woodlot across the road,
at about 7:30 this morning.  A. Robins were present for the first time in
5-6 weeks.  Brown-headed Cowbirds are conspicuously absent (they're normally
emptying our feeders daily by the end of January).
About an hour before dark (this afternoon), I took my daughter to try to
locate the Short-eared Owl that I reported on Friday night.  We did not see
the owl, but counted at least 7 N. Harriers in the area.  There were
probably more, but they  were so plentiful that we had trouble keeping track
to count them!  A number were resting on the ground, all facing into the
stiff wind.  We were disappointed to miss the owl, but all of those Harriers
made up for it.  Apparently, whatever makes that general area attractive for
the SE Owl is also good for Harriers!?

American Crow

American Goldfinch

American Kestrel

American Robin

Black Vulture

Blue Jay

Carolina Chickadee

Carolina Wren

Common Grackle

Common Starling

Cooper's Hawk

Downy Woodpecker

Eastern Bluebird

Eastern Meadowlark

Great Horned Owl

House Finch

House Sparrow

Mourning Dove

Northern Cardinal

Northern Harrier

Northern Mockingbird

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Red-tailed Hawk

Red-winged Blackbird

Song Sparrow

Tufted Titmouse

Turkey Vulture

White-breasted Nuthatch

White-crowned Sparrow

Stephen Tyson, Adairville (Schochoh), Logan Co., KY