[AZ-Observing] Re: Fredericksen's Meadow and Back to the Monsoons

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 15:13:51 -0400

---- "David M. Douglass" <dmdouglass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I responded that I knew that location, and have used it several times. It is
> among my favorites, and it is/was a good one, with some conditions.
> Among those, I said that we COULD NOT use the meadow. I think Tom did an
> excellent job of explaining why (the 300' rule). I had left that out.

Just for the record, I do not endorse the notion that we CAN NOT use the
meadow.  I posted the two images to illustrate that we are very near, and maybe
slightly beyond the limit.  Perhaps these photos and some knowledge of the
Forest Service's policy could be used to argue our case to stay at the meadow,
if that's what we want.

It seems like there is a lot of scurrying around to find a new site.  If we're
going to bother with that, I'd recommend a place that's slightly above the
surrounding terrain (i.e. not another meadow), which would offer better seeing,
and nighttime low temperatures that are at least 10 degrees warmer.  I know,
that's a tall order when you're trying to find a flat place for a couple dozen
observers to set up.  If we accept compromised horizons in every direction but
south, perhaps it's doable.

Tom