[AZ-Observing] Re: Fredericksen's Meadow and Back to the Monsoons

  • From: "Lucia Wheele" <nyclady@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 10:48:08 -0700

please remove me from your email list

nyclady@xxxxxxx

Lucia Wheele
luciawheele@xxxxxxxxx
602-686-0463
-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Tejera
Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2013 2:06 PM
To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [AZ-Observing] Re: Fredericksen's Meadow and Back to the Monsoons

Chris,

I check the M V usage map that Tom had linked to and the site I've noted is
also the "Dotted Line" type indicate the same 300' restriction that applies
at FM.

Rick Tejera (K7TEJ)
Saguaro Astronomy Club
www.saguaroastro.org
Thunderbird Amateur Radio Club
www.w7tbc.org

  Yes, I agree that approximately 30' from the roadway isn't much, however,
it opens up many more areas to us (includingRick Tejera's spot as mentioned
in previous posts today), as opposed to only those with the 300' dispersed
camping rule.  Of course, thismay mean that we may have to walk further set
up, and use, our telescopesbut a little exercise would do us all some good.

4) Having a few "new" or "alternate" spots is never a bad thing.

Just my thoughts...
Chris

On 8/18/2013 12:13 PM, Tom Polakis wrote:
---- "David M. Douglass" <dmdouglass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>[1] wrote: I responded
that I knew that location, and have used it several times. It is among my
favorites, and it is/was a good one, with some conditions. Among those, I
said that we COULD NOT use the meadow. I think Tom did an excellent job of
explaining why (the 300' rule). I had left that out. Just for the record, I
do not endorse the notion that we CAN NOT use the meadow. I posted the two
images to illustrate that we are very near, and maybe slightly beyond the
limit. Perhaps these photos and some knowledge of the Forest Service's
policycould be used to argue our case to stay at the meadow, if that's what
we want. It seems like there is a lot of scurrying around to find a new
site.If we're going to bother with that, I'd recommend a place that's
slightly above the surrounding terrain (i.e. not another meadow), which
wouldoffer better seeing, and nighttime low temperatures that are at least
10degrees warmer. I know, that
's a tall order when you're trying to find a flat place for a couple dozen
observers to set up. If we accept compromised horizons in every direction
but south, perhaps it's doable. Tom -- See message header for info on list
archives or unsubscribing, and please send personal replies to the author,
not the list.

--- Links ---
   1 mailto:dmdouglass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx