[AZ-Observing] Re: Fredericksen's Meadow and Back to the Monsoons

  • From: "Rick Tejera" <SaguaroAstro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 14:06:12 -0700

Chris,

I check the M V usage map that Tom had linked to and the site I've noted is
also the "Dotted Line" type indicate the same 300' restriction that applies at
FM.

Rick Tejera (K7TEJ)
Saguaro Astronomy Club
www.saguaroastro.org
Thunderbird Amateur Radio Club
www.w7tbc.org

  Yes, I agree that approximately 30' from the roadway isn't much, however, it
opens up many more areas to us (includingRick Tejera's spot as mentioned in
rule.  Of course, thismay mean that we may have to walk further set up, and
use, our telescopesbut a little exercise would do us all some good.

4) Having a few "new" or "alternate" spots is never a bad thing.

Just my thoughts...
Chris

On 8/18/2013 12:13 PM, Tom Polakis wrote:
---- "David M. Douglass" <dmdouglass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>[1] wrote: I responded
that I knew that location, and have used it several times. It is among my
favorites, and it is/was a good one, with some conditions. Among those, I said
that we COULD NOT use the meadow. I think Tom did an excellent job of
explaining why (the 300' rule). I had left that out. Just for the record, I do
not endorse the notion that we CAN NOT use the meadow. I posted the two images
to illustrate that we are very near, and maybe slightly beyond the limit.
Perhaps these photos and some knowledge of the Forest Service's policycould be
used to argue our case to stay at the meadow, if that's what we want. It seems
like there is a lot of scurrying around to find a new site.If we're going to
bother with that, I'd recommend a place that's slightly above the surrounding
terrain (i.e. not another meadow), which wouldoffer better seeing, and
nighttime low temperatures that are at least 10degrees warmer. I know, that's a
tall order when you're trying to find a flat place for a couple dozen observers
to set up. If we accept compromised horizons in every direction but south,
perhaps it's doable. Tom -- See message header for info on list archives or
unsubscribing, and please send personal replies to the author, not the list.

--- Links ---
   1 mailto:dmdouglass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx