atw: Re: page numbering - which style to use

  • From: "Daryl Colquhoun" <atw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "austechwriter list" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 00:02:02 +1100

You can, of course, repaginate your PDF so that the roman-numbered front
matter has matching roman page numbers in the PDF but it's very easy to
forget and it's an excellent example of a pure time-wasting activity.

I was once making a case for B, and it seemed a good idea to see whether any
publishers do it. I had a hunt around my bookshelf and found, to my
surprise, that publishers like O'Reilly still do it the mediæval way (method
A, the method developed for 16th century printing technology) but there are
some who don't, and Lonely Planet is one. Most people have a Lonely Planet
book about the place to check. Other examples are Galbraith's "The Great
Crash" (Penguin), Ava Hubble's The Strange Case of Eugerne Goossens..."
(Collins), Joyce Cary's "Memoir of the Bobotes" (Phoenix) and "The Horse's
Mouth (Penguin again). Some of these books are 35 years old or more, by the
way. Check your own bookshelf!

Emails direct to this address are deleted unread as an anti-spam measure.