atw: Re: page numbering - which style to use

  • From: "Michael Lewis" <mlewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 09:22:13 +1000

Bob Trussler:

> We currently have two choices, shown below.  Does anyone have support for
> the modern way of using Arabic numbering throughout?  I reckon that Roman
> for front matter followed by Arabic for the content comes from the olden
> days of hand publishing when the content was assembled THEN the Table of
> Contents was assembled later, so why do we need to maintain this style?

Your historical explanation is correct. It's also worth noting that magazines
don't follow the old convention; pages are numbered in a single sequence. It
might take a little getting used to (esp. for us older folks), but the
separate numbering doesn't have a whole lot of justification any more.

Michael Lewis

Brandle Pty Limited, Sydney, Australia
www.brandle.com.au