atw: Re: page numbering - which style to use

  • From: "Bob Trussler" <bob.trussler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 09:27:05 +1100

the debate rages at work here, and the argument for 1 to 999 is that the
pages in Framemaker then (simply) match the page count as displayed in the
PDF.

We have the option to use a product 'PageLabeler' that sets the PDF
numbering to match the numbers on the page which may be roman/arabic or all
arabic.

I am in favour of keeping it simple, and using 1 - 999 which then means
that all page numbers fall into place in the Framemaker copy, the Word copy
(if there is one), the PDF, on the printed version and so on.

When we finally decide here, I'll post the result.

thanks guys.

Bob T

On 11/23/06, hedley.finger@xxxxxxxx <hedley.finger@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

All:

Elizabeth wrote:
> I think you can actually set the numbering scheme in PDFs to whatever
> you want, if you have full Acrobat.
>
> So you can do all your front-matter in romans, and Acrobat reader will
> show it as roman, and you can navigate using romans. And then do other
> sections in whichever numbering convention you choose. I think you can
> even set up sections, eg 2-18 style of numbering.

> You impose it over the file after you have created the PDF,

In FrameMaker, with the help of the Microtype plug-ins, you can do this
directly you generate PDF, without afterwork in Acrobat.  (Perhaps even
without Microtype?  Anyone know?)

Regards,
Hedley