atw: Re: page numbering - which style to use

  • From: Stuart Burnfield <sburnf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 12:28:12 +0800

The first time I saw this suggestion I was firmly against it. I think this
is because I associated documents numbered sequentially from 1 with authors
who didn't know how to use their publishing tool (other signs: use of
'Normal plus overrides' instead of proper paragraph styles; use of
typewriter-style multiple tabs and paragraphs to position text).

Now that I'm over this snooty reaction, the single numbering scheme for
PDFs makes sense. Many times I've had review comments that said something
like, "Delete the last sentence of the second paragraph on page 20" and had
to decide whether this meant the actual page 20 or the one shown in Adobe
Reader as "20 of 300".

Stuart