atw: Re: page numbering - which style to use

  • From: Naomi Kramer <nkr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 08:54:47 +1000

G'day Bob,

In my opinion the first question to answer is - in what format is this documentation going out? Print-based or electronic (eg. PDF)? If electronic, then option (A) must definitely be ditched!

- Naomi

Bob Trussler wrote:
There is a debate raging in my tech writer team about what numbering style we should use in our documents. We are developing new standards. We currently have two choices, shown below. Does anyone have support for the modern way of using Arabic numbering throughout? I reckon that Roman for front matter followed by Arabic for the content comes from the olden days of hand publishing when the content was assembled THEN the Table of Contents was assembled later, so why do we need to maintain this style?
(A) Keep the front matter separate from main content:

- Front matter uses lower-case Roman with the Title page and Copyright unnumbered

- Rest of the doc in sequential Arabic, starting at 1.

(B) Number the whole doc in sequential Arabic:

- Whole doc including the front matter in sequential Arabic. Numbering begins at 1 on the title page

- Title page and Copyright with no number displayed.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Trussler