atw: page numbering - which style to use

  • From: "Bob Trussler" <bob.trussler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 09:48:22 +1100

There is a debate raging in my tech writer team about what numbering style
we should use in our documents.  We are developing new standards.

We currently have two choices, shown below.  Does anyone have support for
the modern way of using Arabic numbering throughout?  I reckon that Roman
for front matter followed by Arabic for the content comes from the olden
days of hand publishing when the content was assembled THEN the Table of
Contents was assembled later, so why do we need to maintain this style?

(A) Keep the front matter separate from main content:

- Front matter uses lower-case Roman  with the Title page and Copyright
unnumbered

- Rest of the doc in sequential Arabic, starting at 1.

(B) Number the whole doc in sequential Arabic:

- Whole doc including the front matter in sequential Arabic.  Numbering
begins at 1 on the title page

- Title page and Copyright with no number displayed.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Trussler