atw: Re: National Broadband Network and empathy

  • From: Rod Stuart <rod.stuart@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 20:36:53 +1000

Terry

Interesting questions that deserve an answer.

I am not American and have never lived in the USA.

I am not conscious of what you call "Amercanisms". However if they creep in
it is more than likely because I read tons of financial information which
tends to be US oriented.

It might surprise you to know that I don't smoke either tobacco or pot, and
always wear a seatbelt or a helmet when that is required. I do have a few
4x4's, but about 75% of my kilometers are in a little Mitsubishi Mirage.

I do so because I choose to and not because I have to. As you aptly point
out, seatbelts and helmets save lives. In fact a military seat belt saved my
hide one time when I broke an aircraft. Safety glasses have saved my sight.
A hard hat saved my skull. Anti-lock brakes have saved me from entering an
inferno. It makes all kinds of sense to wear personal protective safety
equipment. Don't mistake my arguments as being against any protective
devices. It is none of my business to insist that you wear yours, and it is
not your business to insist that I wear mine. The only justification for
that is that by not wearing it I could increase the drain on community
resources. However so far as I am concerned that is not a valid reason for
you to tell me what to do. It is a valid condemnation of the government
delving into areas which are not legitimately the government's arena. That
is not some selfish desire to deprive someone of health services. On the
contrary, it is a desire to prevent the government under the leadership of
some future despot from using the health system as a tool to wield power.

What drives me absolutely stark raving mad is a government which
persistently delves more and more into personal life. It does so regardless
of whether it is Coles or Woolworths at the reins. Unfortunately that is far
from being uniquely Australian, and I don't intend to suggest that it is.
This is the best place to be for sure, but I am concerned that it will not
be so rosy for much longer. The signs are there if you know where they are
and wish to read them.

That isn't just a rebellious bent. It is because I firmly believe that we
are sliding perilously close to a situation in which individuals will be
enslaved, even if only by the tyranny of the majority.

By the way, the USA is a goner. It's all over. Just as Rome was destroyed
from within, the empire that was born in 1776 is toast. Geoffrey might make
fun of crystal balls, but if you read enough and keep abreast of the
situation there, I think you would agree that it's not a matter of if but
when. It will not be pretty, and it will affect all of us dramatically and
painfully. Of that I am certain.

Anyhow, it is time to get on with other things. I am sorry that Rhonda's
quite innocent infatuation with faster broadband speeds followed by the
request "any thoughts" got us off on this tangent. However, I think it
valuable to exchange ideas, concerns and fears. You might have noticed that
ye olde list was a bit unused for the last few months, for any purpose.

Cheers

Rod

--
Rod Stuart