atw: Re: National Broadband Network and empathy

  • From: Michael Lewis <michael.lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:11:16 +1000

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Mark Nebauer <nebz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Geoffrey,
>

> Interesting thoughts on private/public sectors Geoffrey but I’m still
> inclined to think that the private sector is at least subject to the laws of
> evolution – it’s all about survival of the fittest. This is what should keep
> the private sector lean and mean.

Common mistake, alas. "Fittest", in Darwin's time, meant "best suited" or
"best adapted", not "strongest". Some (I won't say "many", though that might
be accurate) private sector organisations survive not by being efficient but
by milking the system - taking advantage of government handouts, etc.

Michael Lewis
Lecturer
Department of Linguistics
Macquarie University