atw: Re: National Broadband Network and empathy

  • From: Anne Casey <writan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 11:45:03 +1000

At 06:32 PM 22/08/2010, you wrote:

Governments are run by politicians, not businessmen.

Politicians can only make political decisions, not economic ones. They are, after all, first and foremost in the re-election business. Because of the need to be re-elected, politicians are always likely to have a short-term bias. What looks good right now is more important to politicians than long-term consequences even when those consequences can be easily foreseen. The gathering disaster of Social Security has been obvious for years, but politics has prevented needed reforms.

Rod,

This (and most of the rest of your diatribe) is a direct quote from an opinon piece in the Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/article/NA_WSJ_PUB:SB124277530070436823.html

You've filed off some of the serial numbers, but left sufficient information for it to be obvious the original text was American. We don't run our education systems the way they do, and while our teachers are poorly paid, at least ours aren't on welfare while employed as a teacher. Also, anyone who has bothered to look has realised that public servants in Australia not only don't get paid as much as similar roles in private industry, but they've also lost security of tenure. That's why there are so many contractors working in the public sector - it's the only way they can hire anyone at market rates.

The other bizarre thing that stood out was when you referred to the House of Representatives as the Commons. No Australian would ever do that. Canada, on the other hand, has both a Senate and a House of Commons.

You remind me of the American who once offered me Canadian dollars to pay a debt, because she knew Australians didn't use American dollars.

Did you just search Google for some group to harass?

Anne